The mission of the East Brookfield Fire Department is to protect the life and property of our friends, family and neighbors. There are many hours spent striving to meet this goal. Efforts range from countless hours of training to responding to alarms.
However, perhaps one of the most significant and most efficient and effective means of accomplishing our goal is through the exchange of knowledge…Fire Safety Awareness.
As a more informed citizen, you can make a difference to help minimize the dangers of fire to both your family and those responding in a time of need. Please take a moment to review some of the fire safety materials presented here and remember to check back often as our website is new and constantly being improved.
The East Brookfield Fire Department came into existence on March 2, 1920 when Governor Coolidge signed into law the making of the Town of East Brookfield. Prior to that date, the Fire Department was known as the Bay State Engine Company of Brookfield, MA, which operated out of the former fire station on School Street in East Brookfield. The original station had one door on the North side of the building facing Route 9. The building was added on in the 1940’s to the back of the building and the current front of the building adding 3 doors. The Bay State Engine Compaqny had in service a Steamer and a Hose Cart.
Members of the department were alerted by a whistle, which was activated at the station by anyone calling in an alarm. This means that to activate the fire alarm, the reporting person actually had to go to the station to sound the alarm. Of course there were no phones or 911 systems back then!
The original station had one door on the North side of the building facing Route 9. The building was added on in the 1940’s to the back of the building and the current front of the building adding 3 doors. The town still has the Hose cart but the town sold off steamer to David Hayes of Hayes Farm in the late 1920’s when they purchased a 1914 Peerless pumper for $400 form the Town of Marlboro. This was the first motorized piece of fire equipment the town every owned. The Steamer was later used by Mr Hayes to help build the Quabbin Reservoir. Legend has it that it fell into a hole at the construction and as buried there. The old bell is currently on top of the 1929 American Lafrance that the Fire Company owns. In 1929 the Town purchased a used 1929 American lafrance from the company and that truck was in service until 1967 when replaced by our current Engine 2. In 1949 the town purchased a 1949 Ford F-7 Maxim pumper and it was called Engine 1. As the 1950’s came around the town figured they needed a new station and the current station was built in 1952 on route 9. The original building had 3 bays and no second floor. It was almost wiped out in the 1955 flood, which came right up to bay 3.
In 1980 this station was remodeled due to the east wall collapsing and a fourth bay was added along with the second floor.
Ambulance service began for the town in the 1950’s also with a used Pontiac hearse. It was volunteers who used the old “Load and go Method”. There was no prehospital care really given. Since then there has been half a dozen ambulances in town, the last one being bought in 1993, a Ford chassis with a Road Rescue body. The 1981 Ford Wheeled Coach ambulance was then converted into the Rescue we have today.
1961 the town saw a Ford Maynard Forestry truck bought new by the town replacing a former highway truck converted in the 190’s for a forestry truck.
In 1987 saw the first new pumper in a while, this replaced the 1949 Ford.
In 1980 the town also saw a Tanker put into service, a converted oil truck, it served the town well until 1997 when the town purchased Engine 3, a Smeal pumper.
January 1, 2001 saw the beginning of a new era for the town, 2 full time Firefighter-EMT’s were hired to provide protection during the day time hours.
More detailed history will follow, hopefully with pictures in the near future.